Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MMMM

"Your Calls May Be Killing the Bees"

12 posts in this topic

I haven't read the pdf yet (it's embedded in the article but this makes alot of sense on the face of it.

ttp://www.care2.com/causes/environment/ ... -the-bees/

Soon we may face the serious conundrum of having to hang up moblie phones to save the honey. A new Swiss Federal Institute of Technology study (PDF) has concluded that cellular phone calls disrupt a vital honeybee communication signal (known as "worker piping"), causing the bees to become terminally confused and die (a condition known as Colony Collapse Disorder).

The worldwide decline in the honeybee population has been closely watched and documented by scientists, and has for the most part been attributed to chemical toxins, such as the controversial hive-killing pesiticide clothiadin. This study is the first to present hard evidence of a technology-based cause for the bee-pocalypse.

Scientists point out that the ever-growing disappearance of honeybees may have devastating ripple-effects for the environment and for the world's human population. Since 70% of food crops are pollinated by honeybees, the prevalence of Colony Collapse Disorder among bees could easily impact agriculture and world hunger.

Wildlife and environmental protection advocates at Citizens for Safe Technology have had a long-standing mission to alert the public to the possible dangers of wireless technology:

Wireless devices and technologies, and the infrastructure required to support them, are endangering not only human biology, but all natural processes in our environment as well. Wildlife, and the environmental systems they depend on to survive. We can all take immediate steps to lessen the damage we are causing from using wireless technologies.

The latest evidence pointing to the toxicity of cell phones has them currently raising this question:

"With the impending introduction of 4G to add to the mix...how will nature fare? Will the income from the sale of 4G frequencies make up for the loss in food production and the collapse of the honeybee?"

Now that's scary k_shok

Like sonar and ocean liner engines and their effects on sea creatures.

I read that article or one similar not long ago MMMM....very disconcerting.

Icing on the cake is the Canada Post strike.....many Queen Bees are sent through the mail at this time of year adding to the plight of the declining Bee population irked_

Yes, I did eventually finish it myself.

I hadn't thought about the effects of the postal disruption on bees Chris. Really ought to read the newspaper more often. I would think the remaining staff and even the locked out workers would make the effort to search for them should they know about their existence. Neither the workers nor management are heartless.

And, not to spin too fine a point on this but, it's not as if the lock-out came as a surprize and it's not as if there are not alternatives, albeit expensive ones, but using more costly alternatives are better than dead creatures frankly.

really really sad. ANd the scary thing is how many people don't think about it.

Yes, I did eventually finish it myself.

I hadn't thought about the effects of the postal disruption on bees Chris. Really ought to read the newspaper more often. I would think the remaining staff and even the locked out workers would make the effort to search for them should they know about their existence. Neither the workers nor management are heartless.

And, not to spin too fine a point on this but, it's not as if the lock-out came as a surprize and it's not as if there are not alternatives, albeit expensive ones, but using more costly alternatives are better than dead creatures frankly.

Nope the lockout didn't come as a surprise....I think that some of these Queens come from overseas, so not too sure if the info was shared abroad.

We don't use a cell phone, but I know they are screwing up the bees. Scientist started talking about this a few years ago, it's very scary as they pollunate so much of our food.

Son was wondering if maybe that is why we have so many hornets around this year, not as many bees; so not as many bees fighting the hornets. Apparently he heard that hornets try to get into the bees hives so they fight and kill the hornets.

I'm so late getting into this thread! Story of my life. Tiffany your son is correct that hornets and wasps will go into bee hives and steal the honey. Bee's will attack any invaders and will fight to the death. I don't think that this behaviour though would cause a huge difference in the amount of wasps you see this year. It could just be that the weather has been more favourable to one species than the other.

As for the cell phone technology, while I am not one to entirely rule it out, and found it to be very interesting when I first heard about it, I think that this idea has been mostly ruled out as the major cause in Colony Collapse. That said there are still countless theories on the cause of the loss of bee's, ranging from the cell phone, parasites, and pesticides. The collapse issues are mostly seen (or reported) by large pollinating beekeepers. If you have 400 hives and lose half of them that's a huge concern. That said, pollinators are constantly moving their bee's from one crop to another, once township to another, on highways, etc. So those bee's are exposed to toxins from exhaust during shipping, stress from the shipping, and who knows what chemicals they may be exposed to because we know that farmers chemically treat most of their crops so that they are prettier for us to eat. Parasites such as mites are also becoming chemically resistant to the stuff we treat them with, so the more you treat your bee's to get rid of parasites, the stronger they become at fighting you. New strains are popping up all the time just like with humans.

I'm not sure if we'll ever know the exact cause of CCD, but I personally (and I'm no scientist) don't think the cell phones are the major culprit. More likely global warming.

I do agree that ship engines are messing with the sonar communications of marine life though.

DD,I tend to agree with you,I don't have bee-hives for sure,but have noticed the different kind of bugs we've had this summer and the regular ones we have not seen.

We've had 4 Monarchs,this year,we usually at one point have up to 20 around the flowers,the weather-pattern is certainly changing,even in Europe and I am sure it will affect wildlife and insects.

DD ~ is there something else new-ish with bees? I've got this tickle in my brain about something someone said to me about a mite or a fungus that bees carry now that can't be eradicated which may also be a leading cause of CCD.

Yes MMMM, just like with human virus' the mites that the bee's carry are becoming immune to the treatments we have for them and they are mutating into super bugs. There are new strains of mites coming along all the time. Hopefully the bee's continue to evolve in such a way as to protect themselves.