Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MMMM

Benadryl has Hazardous Side Effects

12 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, MMMM said:

Same here - I haven't had time to check further into this story but do you know who did this study?  My first thoughts were it's perhaps been done by the companies that make the newer allergy drugs like Reactine, Allegra, Claritin, etc. Ionlt read the headlines so don't even know what their concern is and thought it likely could be that Benadryl supposedly makes you drowsy and the newer drugs supposedly do not. If that is the case, then there would be a concern about mixing Benadryl with other meds/drugs  that make you drowsy or also used if consuming  alcohol.

I rather doubt that this study included any animals  that obviously don't use alcohol or street drugs but could pose a problem if they are on a vet prescribed med that makes them drowsy.

Edited by Pawz

1 hour ago, MMMM said:

The study is more of a statement  than a study but is based on meta analyses. It's Canadian Society of Allergy Clinical Immunology (CSACI)  https://aacijournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13223-019-0375-9

I have used all of the brands of the newer antihystamines and they all make me drowsy. I've never had a problem using Benadryl for any dog we've had.  Hopefully the vets will come back with a reply to this study as it pertains to animals since it has always been so widely prescribed by them.

1 person likes this

Personally I can't take any of them. I have a paradoxical reaction ~ I get SUPER hyper and my impulse control goes down the drain. 

I've never tried anything else with the dogs but I am finding that Benadryl has next to no effect with Athena's itchiness.

3 hours ago, MMMM said:

Personally I can't take any of them. I have a paradoxical reaction ~ I get SUPER hyper and my impulse control goes down the drain. 

I've never tried anything else with the dogs but I am finding that Benadryl has next to no effect with Athena's itchiness.

Benadryl had no effect on any dog I've given it to for itchiness. It did however bring down swelling for a previous dog we had in Kitimat when her face started to swell rather quickly. I immediately called the vet and he said to give her Benadryl and call back in the morning if it didn't go down. Don't know the cause of it but presumed she got bit by a spider or other insect. Thankfully she was back to normal the next morning.

Ivé got to do some research, this poor mutt is gnawing and scratching herself raw.

mmmm when brewster gets really itchy i have used mouth wash that has no alcohol in it or vinegar . it seems to help for a time.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:48 PM, free said:

mmmm when brewster gets really itchy i have used mouth wash that has no alcohol in it or vinegar . it seems to help for a time.

I'm not sure why the mouthwash would work but the vinegar certainly would. I may try adding some Bragg's ( cider vinegar) to her food, and giving her a wet sponge bath with it. Thanks for jogging the ol' memory. 

On 11/22/2019 at 8:08 AM, MMMM said:

I'm not sure why the mouthwash would work but the vinegar certainly would. I may try adding some Bragg's ( cider vinegar) to her food, and giving her a wet sponge bath with it. Thanks for jogging the ol' memory. 

Don't use the vinegar full strength on any raw areas of her skin.

Have you tried changing her dog food yet?

14 hours ago, Pawz said:

Don't use the vinegar full strength on any raw areas of her skin.

Have you tried changing her dog food yet?

Yes, way too stinging and drying on skin. And yes, we're trying a different brand with lamb being the protein. Her skin seems to be calming a bit. It's also colder which may have eliminated any of the airborne allergens.

On 11/27/2019 at 11:27 AM, MMMM said:

Yes, way too stinging and drying on skin. And yes, we're trying a different brand with lamb being the protein. Her skin seems to be calming a bit. It's also colder which may have eliminated any of the airborne allergens.

Glad she seems to be improving with a new food. What's the brand and how many grain types are in the ingredients?