Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pawz

What Makes Your Dog Get the 'Zoomies'?

7 posts in this topic

Story at-a-glance

• Researchers have determined that the endearing behavior in dogs known as “the zoomies” is completely natural and stems from a feeling of well-being
  • The technical term for the zoomies is frenetic random activity periods, also known as FRAPs, and it’s been exhibited in dogs regardless of their age, size or breed
  • When you’re home with your dog and he gets a sudden bout of the zoomies, it may be acceptable in the backyard or inside where nothing can get broken, but you may wonder if your dog will hurt himself  
  • As long as you keep your eye on your dog and he’s in a safe place when he starts dashing back and forth and “going bonkers,” animal experts say such behavior is completely normal and does not pose a risk to your dog
  • Humans also experience feelings of exuberance and normally know how to temper them, but dogs have no such restraints. But don’t worry; when dogs exhibit feelings of such irrepressible happiness, it’s actually a good thing

brewster can get the zoomies. much less now but in winter he would use are bed as a sping board.

Posted (edited)

On 5/8/2019 at 4:27 PM, free said:

brewster can get the zoomies. much less now but in winter he would use are bed as a sping board.

LOL, I can certainly relate to that scenario  ......when Logan used to get them he'd use anything in his pathway as a springboard and then roar into the bedroom and pull all the bedding off the bed.

Edited by Pawz

we laugh at the time he zoomed on the bed and nearly went flying off. the downside to the zoomies is our duvet has gotten holes from his nails

On 5/13/2019 at 5:18 PM, free said:

we laugh at the time he zoomed on the bed and nearly went flying off. the downside to the zoomies is our duvet has gotten holes from his nails

After the first tear I put an old sheet on top which really helped to protect it from his nails. The worse thing Logan did was when he used the coffee table (which we had just bought the week before)  as a springboard  from the couch to the loveseat  and left a big gouge mark in it.

the only table he goes on is the kitchen table to steal napkins, box of tissue or food

On 5/15/2019 at 4:14 PM, free said:

the only table he goes on is the kitchen table to steal napkins, box of tissue or food

Logan  was bad for counter surfing even though he knew it was wrong and did it just because he liked to push his limits. I had a tomato on the counter to put in the salad I was making - turned my back for a few minutes and it wasn't there.

I immediately looked over at him but he was laying down in the living room looking innocent. but upon further inspection he had the tomato under his chin. There wasn't any teeth marks on the tomato so I just re-washed it and into the salad it went.

Another time I had a couple bags of xmas gifts in the spare bedroom. He went into one and took out the box of chocolates which I found beside him the next morning  - not only did he not try to open it but there was not even a toothmark on the cellophane wrapping. 

The worst thing he did was steal half an onion off the counter and ate it and also took a bite out of a cake I left on the kitchen table.