Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MMMM

Reactive Dogs

11 posts in this topic

Why don't we start off by choosing one behaviour in our respective reactive dog's repertoires we would like to see changed immediately and work on the common priorities. 
Mine would be any one of:
On leash lunging/ barking at people
On leash lunging/ barking at dogs
On leash lunging/ barking at skateboarders
On/Off leash Jumping on people

23 hours ago, MMMM said:

Why don't we start off by choosing one behaviour in our respective reactive dog's repertoires we would like to see changed immediately and work on the common priorities. 
Mine would be any one of:
On leash lunging/ barking at people
On leash lunging/ barking at dogs
On leash lunging/ barking at skateboarders
On/Off leash Jumping on people

I already posted my problems in the thread I started so now we have to hear yours.

9 hours ago, Pawz said:

I already posted my problems in the thread I started so now we have to hear yours.

The list I posted are things I would like to see changed in either Dez/ Adaria/ both so, from that list are any of those behaviours also behaviours in Dex you would prioritize as wanting to change?

On 7/26/2017 at 6:59 AM, MMMM said:

The list I posted are things I would like to see changed in either Dez/ Adaria/ both so, from that list are any of those behaviours also behaviours in Dex you would prioritize as wanting to change?

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but just too much going on in my life right now. The biggest problems I have is #2 followed by #3 and sometimes #1.

at least Brewster doesn't lunge at skateboarders but beau did and no matter what we tried he didn't listen. as for acting up on walks I found if we spotted another dog that we thought he would go nutty it is a little easier if we get him to sit and treat him it usually works. the one thing I notice is the way the other dog is approaching if the dog is turning himself and staring straight on as a challenge he'll go nuts.

On 8/6/2017 at 5:24 PM, free said:

at least Brewster doesn't lunge at skateboarders but beau did and no matter what we tried he didn't listen. as for acting up on walks I found if we spotted another dog that we thought he would go nutty it is a little easier if we get him to sit and treat him it usually works. the one thing I notice is the way the other dog is approaching if the dog is turning himself and staring straight on as a challenge he'll go nuts.

Unpredictability is the same with Dex.....sometimes he responds to the word 'sit' when walking (which he is excellent on every time in the house) but outside mostly is a whole different matter.

pawz  I know they tell you to practice the command outdoors

On 8/8/2017 at 6:07 AM, free said:

pawz  I know they tell you to practice the command outdoors

I know, but unfortunately hubby is the only one strong enough to control Dex out walking and he is NOT consistent with him.  girl_cray2

Alrighty, now we have a list of work to concentrate on. 

I hear you pawz on that one. hubby does not believe to follow through on anything we do. on walks he lets Brewster walk on a 6 ft leash and go were every he wants

Did anyone see the Dr. Chris Pet Vet episode (he's the blonde Aussie) with a white terrier who was obsessed with skateboards? It looked like good advice.