Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pawz

Dog vs Dog Aggression Problems

25 posts in this topic

A couple of us have been discussing problems related to controlling and training an aggressive dog that is reactive towards other dogs. It was decided to open a separate thread on the topic to hopefully find a solution(s) that will help with our problem pooches.

We recently took in a 5 year old dog that has never been socialized properly. He is a Red Heeler/Border Collie/German Shepherd cross that weighs 85 lb and too strong for me to control when we encounter other dogs. I've tried many of the basic ideas on what to do and would love to hear suggestions on what others have tried that worked for them.

Share this post


Link to post

We're in the same boat here. Tried many different "tricks" commonly used and none worked with Chief. Our only recourse right now is to keep a gentle muzzle on him, with a halti lead, to keep control of his head.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, exkalibur said:

We're in the same boat here. Tried many different "tricks" commonly used and none worked with Chief. Our only recourse right now is to keep a gentle muzzle on him, with a halti lead, to keep control of his head.

I know you mentioned problems with Chief before but thought that you were going to a trainer at the time to try and resolve the issue  ......did that not work out for Chief?

Share this post


Link to post

Brewster sounds vicious but anyone who trains keeps on telling us it is anxiety to get to play and being held back.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Pawz said:

I know you mentioned problems with Chief before but thought that you were going to a trainer at the time to try and resolve the issue  ......did that not work out for Chief?

Nope. The problem is lack of exposure to other dogs. he's fine with smaller ones but if they're big enough that he perceives them as a threat , all bets are off.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/11/2016 at 5:27 PM, free said:

Brewster sounds vicious but anyone who trains keeps on telling us it is anxiety to get to play and being held back.

Lots of dogs have leash aggression and they usually outgrow it with time ....has Brewster ever gotten to meet other dogs that are friendly?

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/11/2016 at 5:30 PM, exkalibur said:

Nope. The problem is lack of exposure to other dogs. he's fine with smaller ones but if they're big enough that he perceives them as a threat , all bets are off.

I know you've had him from a puppy but it does make it really hard to socialize them properly when you live in a rural area. We live outside of town but not near as rural as you are. Dexter was just not socialized as a puppy period and, I don't even think that the owners gave him the exercise that his breeds definitely required.

More to come later about Dex but it's time to go feed the crew right now.

Share this post


Link to post

he has got to meet other dogs and is fine when he meets, but if he is totally off the wall he doesn't. tonight he went nutso with a few dogs, one I don't blame him as the dog was walking on an angle and looked challenging but then he saw a 3 month old pup and not one peep.

Share this post


Link to post

Can't help you on this one,,mine is created to not like anything but his flock. Taking Echo is a joy if another dog appears,,doesn't matter the size either. Even the prong collar doesn't stop him totally and he's smart and knows if he swings his ass end around he stands a chance of taking my legs out from under me.  I have discovered if i grab his ear,,i don't pull it or anything like that,,he stops immediately,,mind you he's screaming like a little girl.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/12/2016 at 5:51 PM, free said:

he has got to meet other dogs and is fine when he meets, but if he is totally off the wall he doesn't. tonight he went nutso with a few dogs, one I don't blame him as the dog was walking on an angle and looked challenging but then he saw a 3 month old pup and not one peep.

I wish Dexter just wanted to 'play' but from what we've gone through with him so far when walking him, I'm sure he would just attack.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/12/2016 at 9:17 PM, aslan said:

Can't help you on this one,,mine is created to not like anything but his flock. Taking Echo is a joy if another dog appears,,doesn't matter the size either. Even the prong collar doesn't stop him totally and he's smart and knows if he swings his ass end around he stands a chance of taking my legs out from under me.  I have discovered if i grab his ear,,i don't pull it or anything like that,,he stops immediately,,mind you he's screaming like a little girl.

At least you knew what the breed was like before you got him and I so wish I had researched the 'heeler' breed beforehand .....like I said before, this is one of the more stupider things I've ever done.

So, how do you exercise Echo now that you don't have acreage to run him?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Pawz said:

I wish Dexter just wanted to 'play' but from what we've gone through with him so far when walking him, I'm sure he would just attack.

I was pretty sure our two would attack anything in their yard but a little chiwawa  or however you spell it came in under the wrought iron portion of fence and nope the girls wanted to play with him..I thought for sure the little bug gar  was lunch.

i don't know how we would manage without the dog door and fenced yard..they go in and out as they please and with being a corner lot they chase anything that moves on the other side of the fence 

 

Share this post


Link to post

pawz have you tried a muzzle on dexter when walking it would be safer to see his reaction if he actually was up close to another dog

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Pawz said:

At least you knew what the breed was like before you got him and I so wish I had researched the 'heeler' breed beforehand .....like I said before, this is one of the more stupider things I've ever done.

So, how do you exercise Echo now that you don't have acreage to run him?

Oh he still gets walked daily and we have a large yard now that we moved,,that was one of the things we were looking for.  Pyrs mellow right out at around 2yrs old so he's pretty much a couch potatoe. Takes him 6 months to work up to a full blown zoomie then thats it for 6 months, he doesn't play with toys just likes lovings and the couch.  When i walk him he's on a prong collar, i have cheese( his most favorite thing) in a bag in my pocket, a muzzle clipped to my belt incase and just try to be super aware if other dogs are around.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/13/2016 at 0:46 AM, shirley1011 said:

I was pretty sure our two would attack anything in their yard but a little chiwawa  or however you spell it came in under the wrought iron portion of fence and nope the girls wanted to play with him..I thought for sure the little bug gar  was lunch.

i don't know how we would manage without the dog door and fenced yard..they go in and out as they please and with being a corner lot they chase anything that moves on the other side of the fence 

 

It's only the bigger dogs that Dex flips out at as well .....he's also good with our cats but wants to chase any others that we encounter and is forever wanting to chase the gophers.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/13/2016 at 9:10 AM, free said:

pawz have you tried a muzzle on dexter when walking it would be safer to see his reaction if he actually was up close to another dog

To be honest, I would be too embarrassed to try that with him.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/14/2016 at 5:27 PM, aslan said:

Oh he still gets walked daily and we have a large yard now that we moved,,that was one of the things we were looking for.  Pyrs mellow right out at around 2yrs old so he's pretty much a couch potatoe. Takes him 6 months to work up to a full blown zoomie then thats it for 6 months, he doesn't play with toys just likes lovings and the couch.  When i walk him he's on a prong collar, i have cheese( his most favorite thing) in a bag in my pocket, a muzzle clipped to my belt incase and just try to be super aware if other dogs are around.

If you ever encountered another dog unexpectedly would you be able to hold him back and have time to put the muzzle on him without him getting away from you first?

Share this post


Link to post

There has only been one time that i couldn't restrain him physically and it was when a doberman went after Jessie,,he spun around and used his ass end to take my legs out from under me and once i went down he dragged me.  The muzzle is more for if i see the dog in advance or if i'm taking him somewhere that i know there will be several dogs. Gotta remember i've had Echo since he was a pup so he has no doubt who the boss is,,,when he was a pup he nipped me and i bit his ear,,thus now i just have to grab his ear and OMG you'd think i was killing him,but it stops the aggression.

Share this post


Link to post

there is nothing embarrassing about a muzzle it is for your protection. I even considered one because he can pick up things he shouldn't and can have the jaws of death. if he wasn't getting better a muzzle so he doesn't get sick

Share this post


Link to post

Here are some websites I've come across ......

 

Desensitizing & Counter-Conditioning
 
 
 
Dog Collars 
 
 
 
Dog Leashes  
 
 
 
Shock Collars 
 

Share this post


Link to post

I think this must be the thread to which you were referring @Pawz. I'll start another. 

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Wrong thread... 

Edited by MMMM
OOoops

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MMMM said:

I think this must be the thread to which you were referring @Pawz. I'll start another. 

 

1 hour ago, MMMM said:

Wrong thread... 

Yes, this is the one I started .....will check out your new one.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Pawz said:

 

Yes, this is the one I started .....will check out your new one.

I couldn't find the one you started?  MG_129

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/23/2017 at 11:00 PM, Pawz said:

 

Yes, this is the one I started .....will check out your new one.

Here it is 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0