Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MMMM

What's with the bears anyway: Martyn Obbard at TEDxAlgonquinPark

9 posts in this topic

This looks like it would be very interesting:

I clicked to watch the video but all I got was a little white dot circling round and round .....have waited 2 minutes and it's still circling ....will try again next time.

That's buffering. Plays okay for me so it may be your internet connection.

It's Ontario specific, I wish he had spent more time on analyzing the bear-human interactions (so-called problem bears) and talking about ways to reduce those but the review of their diet was certainly interesting. The bear on the clothesline was pretty astounding.

It's Ontario specific, I wish he had spent more time on analyzing the bear-human interactions (so-called problem bears) and talking about ways to reduce those but the review of their diet was certainly interesting. The bear on the clothesline was pretty astounding.

I think it may be my computer as it happens all the time now with You Tube videos. I'm pretty sure I've seen that bear on the clothesline and yes, it was amazing how agile it was.

I think it may be my computer as it happens all the time now with You Tube videos. I'm pretty sure I've seen that bear on the clothesline and yes, it was amazing how agile it was.

All for a little bit of birdseed too! It is amazing that they know when plants and berries are at their peak for protein.

All for a little bit of birdseed too! It is amazing that they know when plants and berries are at their peak for protein.

Hubby has encountered quite a few when he's out picking huckleberries but when he does come across them he just moves to a different spot. We also get them regularly in our neighbourhood when the fruit trees ripen .....there was one gorgeous jet black one that came almost every night and would raid our pear tree.

I was wondering about that when the gent was talking about the different berries they go after. I guess as long as they have something to eat and you aren't in the middle of a mother and her cubs you're okay. Do you have those bear-resistant garbage containers? They don't harm the bark on the pear tree? 

I was wondering about that when the gent was talking about the different berries they go after. I guess as long as they have something to eat and you aren't in the middle of a mother and her cubs you're okay. Do you have those bear-resistant garbage containers? They don't harm the bark on the pear tree? 

Hubby was walking from the truck to a spot that he regularly goes to and was almost to the bushes when he noticed a grizzly merrily munching away on the other side of a bush .....he immediately started backing away as the bear looked up and watched him.

We don't have those cans but we do keep our containers in the garage and don't put them out until 10 min before the garbage truck arrives.  Those bear-proof cans are pretty pricey but I read in the paper that the city is looking into bringing in a bunch if they can get them at a reduced rate so they're more affordable for people.

ETA: No haven't had any bark damaged although our peach tree got split in half a few years back from the weight of a bear. Last year the elk did more damage to the pear tree than the bear by breaking a few smaller branches.

Edited by Pawz